Name of Group Game: Spoons
Small Group (3 - 9 people)
Age: All Ages
Time: 15 – 20 minutes
Summary: Get four of a kind and grab a spoon! Fast-paced card game that everyone can play.
Goal: Get four of a kind to grab a spoon. If you see someone else grab a spoon, grab a spoon too.
- A deck of cards.
- Spoons *The number of spoons that you’ll need depends on how many people are playing. You’ll need to have one less spoon than the number of people playing in the game- e.g. 9 spoons for 10 players or 4 spoons for 5 players).
How to Play Spoons:
1. Everyone will need to sit in a circle. The spoons should be in the middle of the table/playing area. Deal out four cards to all of the players and put the remaining cards in a pile next to you. Have everyone look at their cards.
2. Ground Rules: Everyone’s goal is to get four of a kind (e.g. four Kings, four 5’s, four Aces). If a person gets four of a kind, that person can take a spoon. Once someone sees that another person takes spoon, they can take a spoon too. The last person who is left without a spoon loses the game. The game is played clockwise. Each player can only have four cards in hand at all times.
3. You start the game by picking up one card from the pile next to you. Take a glance at it. You have the option of keeping the card or passing it to the person to the left of you. If you decide to keep the card, you have to exchange it with a card that is already in your hand and pass your discarded card to the next person.
4. The person to your left picks up your discarded card, takes a glance at it, and decides whether to keep the card or to pass it on. Once the person discards their card, the third person does the same thing as the previous players. This happens throughout the circle until someone has four of a kind and grabs a spoon. Once a player grabs a spoon, everyone else needs to grab a spoon and avoid being the last person without the spoon. The person without the spoon loses the game.
- To play multiple rounds: If a person loses the game, they will have an “S” and remain in the game. Similar to the game of “Horse”, if a person loses a second time, they can have a “P”, until they spell out the word “SPOON”. Once a person loses five times, that person is out of the game. The last person remaining wins the game.
- View Team Spoons for a different approach to Spoons.
To add this game to your website or blog, simply copy and paste the following URL:
You May Also Enjoy:
Team Spoons - Thirteen / Tienlen / Tien Len - Egyptian War